Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Latest Idol "Loser"...Doesn't It Seem a Bit...Sexist???


Ok, I know that many will roll their eyes for one of two basic reasons. Either my few readers will roll their eyes because I am talking about a reality show or some may roll their eyes because it seems I always find the "sexism" in EVERYTHING!

I see it because, well, it's there.

Since the beginning of American Idol season 8, when the judges decided to not separate the genders but rather to allow America to do the choosing, I wondered if we would get the usual 6 guys and 6 girls that the judges ensured. And actually, I was a little happy this time. At first I thought, "if there are more girls who are dynamite than boys, well, then so be it--we could have 8 girls and 4 guys. And then I started to worry. What if the "boy vote" that seems to predominate as of late with "fawning" girls (from prepubescent to adult) swung the votes away from the powerful female presence of season 8?

And then it happened. Each week, when America picked the top boy and the top girl and then the top whoever-got-the-next-amount of votes, we saw week after week, two boys and only one girl. The final week, the judges did their normal "fair is fair" and chose their top 2 girls and top 2 boys (creating a top 13). What did that leave us with? 5 remarkable girls and 8 boys (only 3 of which are remarkable).

It angered me. Two far superior females were let go in favor of "popular" boys. Still, I figured that when the singing competition heated up, the girls would have a fighting chance.

Nope. I was wrong.

Two weeks ago, America voted out Jasmine Murray with her powerful ballad style voice. Yes, she was young, but she sang circles around Scott Macintyre (who happens to be blind), Michael Sarver, (who happens to be a really nice guy), and Anoop Desai (who happens to be annoying but has a cool nickname--"Noop Dog"). Then, this following week, the unthinkable happened. One of the strongest voices this season (although arguable not the best), Alexis Grace, was voted out. Is this just a matter of me being reverse sexist--that perhaps Alexis was not the best--I mean who am IIIII to say who others should like, right?

Entertainment Weekly last week (the edition days before she was voted out) had her at #5 of 13. I am not alone in respecting her voice. She was superior to most of the boys.

Each time America has had a choice so far, "the boys" have come out ahead. Why? Is it really because they are the better caliber singers? Is it because guys who vote tend to vote for the guys they think are cool and women tend to vote for the guys they think are "hot" or "sweet?" I know what I think, but maybe those of you who do not follow idol may want to this year...

Just to see if there is any proof to my argument!

6 comments:

Vigilante said...

{nod}

K McKiernan said...

Well, I do not know what that means, Vig, but I did feel a bit better when is saw a video on yahoo news that had two people 'dishing' about the same thing I said!

So, its not just me thinking there an unfounded conspiracy out there. Hahahah

K

Vigilante said...

{Zzzzzzzzzzzz.......Snort...... Zzzz}

Bob Keller said...

Well, I know I'm late to this party, but I do have some observations that come from what I am embarrassed to admit is my vast experience.

I am an avid American Idol fan and haven't missed an episode for 8 years. I am an extremely active participant over on Idol Forums (the premier Idol discussion site) and have watched both the voting and judges manipulation for several seasons.

First of all you are right, pre-teen girls tend to dominate the voting. They are the most involved and most passionate. They have the ability and determination to vote about 200 to 500 times each Tuesday night.

Here is where your analysis gets dicey. I've seen no sexual bias in their support. But there is huge passion. Incredible passion that does line up behind Idol types.

Over the years we've watched any similar types cancel out votes quickly until one is eliminated. In other words, their isn't enough votes to support two blond girls, or two Justin Timberlake style boys or two black diva style ladies, etc.

Invariably, you get down to three to five very distinct types, with all duplicates eliminated. That's when the real voting begins.

Last night Scott was elinimated. His fan base was slightly unique because of the sympathy factor, but he tended to conflict with the blond boy Kris and both could not survive.

Eventually we will get down to Kris, Danny, Adam, Lil and Allison: five totlly distinct types.

Talent will actually start to matter then.

The real Hollywood undercurrent this year is a fear on the part of the Producers of American Idol that the final two will be Adam and Danny.

The paranoia among the Producers is that this will cause a huge and destructive, religious and sexual orientation based warfare between the conservative, family values, midwestern, laborer, hetrosexual Danny and the openly gay, west coast, liberal (presumably non-Christian) Adam.

While this incredibly stupid argument dominates the LA Times and Variety (I wish to god I was joking), there is absolutely no evidence of this on the forums. Our eleven year old girls couldn't care less.

They simply luv Danny and they luv Adam and they luv Allison and they heart Kris and they luv Lil. OMG!!!

P.S. You can hear all the contestants on my flagship Internet radio station Wizard Radio. On Saturdays we play only American Idol winners and contestants from all eight years. I told you I was obsessed.

K McKiernan said...

Wow, wizard, thanks for taking the time here.

I like watching, but am far from obsessed :)

J and I have talked for a long time about how people will split votes if there are so many blondes or so many guys who are alike or so many African American ladies etc. Glad you agree with that.

I think that is why Matt was voted out last week (and then saved). There are only so many guy votes to be had split among sooooo many guys.

I really think the winner should be Adam or Allison. Who do you think should win?

K

J McKiernan said...

Oh yes, let's get talking about this AmIdol thing. I have restrained myself from commenting on Idol this year over at Cinema Squared for a couple reasons...1) not tons of time, and 2) trying to keep it to movies only, at least for now. But, I would love to talk about Idol in some forum. K says she likes to watch but isn't obsessed. That is true.

Me, I'm obsessed. Although I will say less so this year than in the past...for me, this is the most boring season of Idol...ever. Easily. Maybe the Jordin Sparks year could beat this one in boring terms, but that's about it. Not a lot to say...I'm non-plussed, even though it's true that there is more talent than ever. But I sort of don't care.

Hopefully we can spark some Idol conversation, so I'll save my personal faves and what not for then. Right now I have a question: what's the deal with the radio stations, Wiz? I find that very intriguing. Tell me more about it...how you got into it, etc. Have you ever thought of having a weekly chat show, where we could discuss Idol and what not?