Monday, June 9, 2008

As good a time as any...

Hello, readers...

I was waiting to begin until I could find the right way to start, to find the right words, to light a fire under us. But while I waited, time kept marching past me. So, here I am, starting this blog, now is as good a time as any I suppose. 

I wanted to start this blog because I am sick of feeling alone with my feelings about sexism and gender constructions. There are a few people, and by few I mean one handful, of people who seem to "get" me. Others look at me like I am an alien or shit on the bottom of their shoe. It seems daily a read or see something which infuriates and makes me feel even more alone.

I have been quite down the last few months during this democratic primary season, watching as so called democrats did all they could to trash Hillary Clinton in favor of the golden boy, Obama. Endless nights, I scratched my head. I could not understand why on earth no one saw what was so seemingly obvious to me: Although a wonderful candidate with gobs of potential, a candidate I would love to see learn and get more experience and become our first African American President,  Barack Obama was no where near as qualified as Hillary Clinton. My bleeding liberal heart would love to see two African American girls playing on the White House Lawn, and same heart would love to strike a dagger into the racism that still exists in this country,  but not this year, not this time. 

It has angered, frustrated, and pained me to watch Hillary vilified and be the butt of sexist jokes and prejudices, yet at the same time, countless pundits, bloggers, entertainers all took it upon themselves to talk about how its worse for African Americans  and that they are the only ones victim of the 'glass ceiling." How sexist constructions and sexism could pollute a candidate's chances (remember the "she's cryingggg" when she never did?) and then everyone ignore the elephant in the room is beyond me. The only African American who has it worse than women, is African American women. This election proves it. No matter how racist our country still is, its constituents would rather be for a black man than the more experienced, more qualified female. Because as I have always argued, our society views man as better than woman, period. Of course, black men do have it harder than white men, but all men still enjoy luxuries women are not afforded.

Everything in our society boils down to gendered constructions. What is seen as masculine is valued and that which is seen as feminine is not.  Race, class, religion swill and shift these constructions, but nothing holds fast in dictating power as gender does.

For everyone who reads this entry, I am sure I will have a long way to go before I persuade any of you of anything because for some reason, gendered divisions seem to be the last fortress. Most of us admit to racism or a handful of other "isms," but sexism is one that people continue to roll their eyes at even a they continue to degrade and objectify women in so many forms which will be denoted in upcoming posts.

Sexism is one that most do not want to admit to or change. I am not entirely sure why, but I hope this blog and the voices who contribute to it help me (us) discover why, and more importantly, strive for a way to change it. Then, maybe the most qualified candidate will win, no matter his/her gender.


4 comments:

Stella by Starlight said...

Hurray! You started. Here's a little upbeat news. Arianna Huffington was on CBS this morning and stated, "Hillary's campaign was like 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling."

So, something is starting to break. But, although I did not support Hillary, I am not blind to the sexism in the world. Alas, if I weren't at work...

Well, this is your first post, and I'm honored to be your first commenter, although I can't say much right now. I loved your comment that "Women aren't a minority."

I've dedicated my life to mentoring young women whenever I can to do whatever I can to shatter this bigotry in my own small way.

K McKiernan said...

Thank you so much for checking so frequently. I am glad I could finally oblige.

The quote... about 18 million cracks... that must have been Huffington (whom I really love) quoting Clinton herself. Did you see her "support Obama" speech. That is where she said it. I instantly got tears.

Have you read her biography by Carl Bernstein? It explains so much about why she is the way she is and as I read it, I was sure I was reading the biography of our next president.

I do love Obama, and I am thrilled at the idea of his daughters growing up at the White House and what it will do for black families across our country (and elsewhere as well).

Thanks again for pushing me. I hope to write a tirade, rant, or personal thoughts each day here.... its easier for me to pour out than about movies (unless I see sexism in the movie). :)

Kentucky Rain said...

Well if it means anything, and at the risk of repeating myself and being severely reprimanded by my fried Vigil, I like Hillary and would love to see her on the ticket. I think she is incredibly bright, tough, and not bad looking for an older woman:-). Most importantly, the election is not a foregone conclusion.

The fact is Hillary garnered a lot of votes, votes which would help Obama, so why not put her on the ticket. She is also a tireless campaigner who could be where he could not be. I think an Obama/Clinton partnership would secure a victory.

K McKiernan said...

Mike,

Your two paragraphs sum up precisely what I have been trying to tell people. Thank you for sharing.