Saturday, June 14, 2008

Triggering some old poems...

Stella, a bright, quick, wonderful woman with whom I am becoming fast friends, quoted Shirley Chisholm today on Utah Savage's blog

The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, "It's a girl."

This quote reminded me of a poem I once wrote, and I wanted to share it with my new friend but also anyone else who might frequent the site.  

The Birth

The warm, comforting nest is forever lost
The baby is expelled
This innocence is smacked with life

What will she become?
What will her life hold?
The parents smile as they cradle their child

Perhaps they wear masks
Perhaps her gender is a disappointment
The mother secretly promises herself--
     next time I'll give him a son
As the father thinks of protecting his little angel


1 comment:

Stella by Starlight said...

I'm touched, K. This poem deeply resonates with me. I don't know what to say except thank you. What a profound statement on our gender, and what a great writer you are.

Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness.
~Erica Jong